Friday, February 02, 2007

Jabba the Hut

I am now officially "overweight" as confirmed by the medical profession, with a bmi (blubbery midrift index) several notches higher than what it should be! The fact that science has confirmed what the wife has long been telling me is (apparently) the required motivation for eating less enjoyable food from now on.

I have to admit that I knew that there was more of me than was perhaps ideal, but was surprised at how far off the 'green' section of the graph I proved to be.

I remember seeing a piece of research done by some psychologists who had got a flexible mirror and asked people to press a button to indicate when the mirror was flat - ie. when it was reflecting a true image of themselves. The results made interesting reading, because "most" men perceived themselves to be a few degrees thinner than reality while "most" women perceived themselves to be several degrees larger than they actually are! I think if subjcted to such a test, the wife and I would conform to type on this score at least!

However, all such denials on my part have fallen by the wayside now, as the wife is patrolling the menu and the bmi scores; while Boris wants to know when I will be taking up Sumo.

3 comments:

That Hideous Man said...

It gets worse.... today Norris spilt tomato sauce on my white shirt, which I promptly removed to shove in the washing machine. Looking at my naked torso he laughed and with four-year glee giggled "BIG boobies" at me!

Anonymous said...

What kind of sexist point about "most men" and "most women" are you trying to infer?

That Hideous Man said...

If it's a point about our society and not about men and women per se, then nothing discriminatory can be inferred.