Saturday, January 05, 2019

Abernethy New Year Houseparty


Our whole family is just back from a great few days at Nethybridge Outdoor Centre, where we joined their New Year Houseparty. I've never been to anything like it before, but really enjoyed it. We were there from Sat-Weds, and had access to all their on-site activities like tennis, table tennis, swimming, dry-ski-slope, walks, games, etc; as well as joined in the Hogmanay Party, with ceilidh and fireworks. The centre in situated in beautiful woodland in the Cairngorms National Park, and and so has an abundance of mountains, rivers, lochs, climbs and bike trails on its doorstep. Alongside this there was a programme of evening meetings with light-hearted entertainment, as well as the Christian worship and teaching that the Abernethy Trust offers. It was this last aspect that I was able to contribute a bit too as well.

The accommodation was  basic but comfortable, and the food regular, plentiful and good value! It's a while since we have all piled into a family room together, and snored and coped with each other's irritating habits, but it was fun. One of the highlights for me was getting to know some of the staff a bit. Because I was helping with the meetings, I worked closely with them; putting the programme together. Abernethy seem to have managed to create a nice balance between professionalism and friendliness which makes working for them a joy.

The other guests were fascinating too. I enjoyed some really intriguing discussions with people from a huge variety of backgrounds; and opinions! There were Scots, English and Northern Irish folks to start with, and others who had lived all over the world. There were people from High-Church, Low-Church and No-Church, full-time parents, farmers, engineers, academics, charity-sector workers, teachers, physios, psychiatrists, retired folks, and youngsters, toddlers, a Cathedral verger and many more! I don't think I have ever encountered such an eclectic mixture of interesting people in one place before.

In the meetings we looked at the lessons from some of the Bible's more overlooked characters. These were Barabbas the convict, Bathsheba, King Omri, Hezekiah and Barnabas. The centre has a great band, made up of staff past and present, and they led us in worship every night too - which was really encouraging. I got to speak in the local CofS at Nethybridge too. I had suspected before I went that it might be a small or sleepy affair; but that just exposes the folly of my prejudices! The beautiful country kirk was crammed to the gunnels with people, with extra chairs in the aisles to accommodate them.

The only real disappointment was the complete lack of snow all week. When the snow comes, the centre runs a bus to and from the Lecht every day, and my kids were desperately hoping to fill their days on the slopes. Alas, twas not to be! I felt a bit sorry for them, as the possibility of snow had been a major draw for them coming up there with me. However they seemed quite happy flinging their Mum around at the Hogmanay Ceilidh, as 2019.

Abernethy is a great place. I hope I can go back one day.

No comments: