Thursday, March 23, 2006

Am I a spoilt brat?

One thing about young children that really annoys me, is their frequent incapacity for gratitude. Everything done for them is 'expected' and even when a cursory 'thank-you' is offered, it can appear to be ritualised behaviour, rather than the overflow of a grateful heart. Genuine appreciation of what others do has to be taught, it rarely comes spontaneously. In all honesty, who doesn't cringe, when in the street you overhear a parent offering a child some kind of treat - only to hear it being thrown back in their face. "Its the wrong one, I didn't want that one, it's not fair!"
Part of the problem is that kids learn more by observation than they do by instruction. What I tell my children to do has only a minimal impact in comparison with that of my day-by-day behaviour. And here's the problem - I have re-discovered that spiritually at least, I am a spoiled brat!
Many years ago, these words were written:

One does not have to be in agreement with all of Finney's theology (or taste in beards) to acknowledge the power of this quote! Many years ago I did as Finney suggested and sat down and wrote down every good thing I could think of that I had never thanked God for. What I thought might be a ten minute novelty turned into an afternoon of soul searching. As my sheet of paper filled up, I needed another, and another and another - and I realised that by nature I am a selfish brat. I take and take from God (who gives so generously) and allow countless blessings to be taken for granted with barely an acknowledgement - let alone heartfelt thanksgiving to my gracious creator. Sometimes I even have the audacity to complain about His provision.

If a grateful, thankful attitude is something that I need to cultivate in my children. It is something I first must nurture in myself.

No comments: