Monday, March 27, 2006

Goodbye, Farewell and Thanks for the Whisky

This weekend we said goodbye to some good friends who strangely want to swap THIS for THIS for at least a year. I think that our Skype software is going to be put through it's paces over the next few months. Although we'll miss their conversation, odd-humour, faith, fellowship, hill-walking trips, wisdom and their lovely little boy; every cloud has a silver lining. In this case the silver lining came in the form of an unfinished bottle of Bruichladdich which they hadn't managed to polish off before fleeing the country. They very wisely didn't waste it but found it a good home. I had forgotten what a strong, full, smooth whisky it is - definitely has to be one of the top three varieties commonly available.

As I am such a light drinker, a bottle of malt lasts me over a year - so I have to be very choosy about what I get. To my uneducated palate this has taste of sea without the mouthfull of salt that you get with Oban, has a pungent aroma like Laphroaig minus the antiseptic aftertaste, plenty of peat to savour and is nice and spicy. It's not as firey as Lagavulin, but equally doesn't cost £35 a bottle! It's as flavoursome as my other favourite, Bowmore, but smoother I think.
So, seeya then. Goodbye, farewell, and thanks for the whisky. Our prayers go with you (but the Bruichladdich stays here).

No comments: