Monday, October 16, 2006

Word of the Day: "Dupuytren's"

I have just discovered that I may have "Viking Ancestry"! Today my old Dad has been to hospital to have an operation to correct Duputren's Contracture on his hands. Duputren's is apparently a thickening of tissue in the fascia on the hands which causes the fingers to be pulled in towards the palm. It is a genetically inherited problem and is treated by severing the thickenings, loosening the fingers. I have it on good authority (no, OK I read it on the internet!) that Duputren's is strongly associated with the Scandanavian gene pool and came to the British Isles courtesy of the Vikings.
As there is every chance I will develop Duputren's in later life - I'm off to buy the Viking helmet in preparation now.

3 comments:

Mandrew Nelson said...

Hi Gavin, Sorry to hear about your mum... I'll keep you in my thoughts. Thanks for your reply to my post. I will make good use of what you have said. Your comments are well appreciated.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
That Hideous Man said...

Ian, thanks for your message, I've lost your mobile number. if you've got mine, gissa ring!