Monday, November 20, 2006

Take 6: Live in London

The Mrs and I had a brilliant night at The Barbican in London on Friday, where we saw Take 6 live.

The terrible photo here was taken with my phone from the back of the hall and it shows the group in full flight during their encore.

I have never heard singing like this before. Range, power, passion, delivery, style and harmonies - what harmonies! Some of the songs were funky, others soulful, many spiritual and many of them almost tear-jerkingly beautiful.

Alongside many well loved Take 6 songs such as "Spread Love" and "Mary and Martha" they also sang a beautiful version of Bill Withers "Grandma's Hands" and an absolutely stunning rendition of Twila Paris' song, "Lamb of God". Very moving indeed. Their arrangements are spellbinding and their delivery virtually flawless - an absolutely brilliant, brilliant night.

I know I was not alone in my appreciation either, there were barely any seats left in the Barbican - and the crowd went completely bezerk in their appreciation of the band and would have called them back for encore after encore, had the house-lights not come up and the 'elevator music' started to signal the end of the evening. I'd love to hear them live again.

No comments: