Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Of passing interest to history geeks...

Anyone with a slightly sad, geekish appreciation of history might appreciate the following website, http://www.spatial-literacy.org/ . They have had the joy of spending several years of their lives entering all the surnames and locations from the 1881 & 1998 censuses into an online database which you can search. It throws up interesting maps of the distributions of names across the country, now and then.
Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a happy time playing with the website at New Year. Tragic I know..........The bizarre thing was that my maiden name seems to come from the place I worked for 5 years, gave birth to child number 1 and have absolutely no relations or childhood connections with......I guess we all emigrated or something.