Tuesday, March 10, 2009

They bought me a "study bible".....

I was given a "study bible" for Christmas, which has turned out to be a fascinating and wonderful present, perhaps somewhat to my surprise. The reason for my reservation was, I suppose, a matter of principle. I always felt slightly awkward with the text of the Bible and comment on it, being bound together (however scholarly the notes) as if this began to blur the important distinction between the two. It's the same problem that makes me treat Peterson's Bible paraphrase The Message, with a little caution. In that he actually blends his interpretation with the text itself on several occasions. In practice, he does it rather well most of the time, but as a method it has to be rather suspect! My study Bible though I have found a really useful tool, the fears unfounded and the study tools helpful - and more practical than wandering about carrying armfuls of commentaries!

In the segments which are displayed above (if the text is too small, click on the image to enlarge), a sample of the notes are displayed. The story from Matthew 21 of Jesus cursing the fig-tree reads at first glance like a inexplicable fable of messianic petulance. The study notes here are very helpful. The first box of comments explain something of the biology of the fig-tree which makes the story meaningful, transforming what looks likes spite, into a devastatingly powerful rebuke to hypocrisy. The final comments box makes some suggestions about how to harmonise the various gospel accounts, making the sensible (but useful) suggestion that Mark's account is chronological but Matthew's is more thematic. A good present this!

1 comment:

lynn said...

helpful post, THM. I have been thinking of getting a study bible (as I end 5 years of self-discovery at our shared institution....!)