Monday, April 16, 2007

Postcards from Ulster: #5 "1-2-3-4"

Visiting the wife's family has many good things to offer, alongside their entertaining company. In the last year they have also procured a drum kit. Yes - a real drum kit - not a toy one or a stripped-down kids one, but a full size and really noisy drum kit. How better to wake up one's dozing parents than with a drum solo, the kids ask? It's a good job they live in a detached house, a few hundred metres from from any other building.

After being impressed with our niece's excellent drumming and how easy she made it look I picked up the sticks. If a 6 year old can manage it, surely I can too, I wrongly assumed.

I was let down by my inability to complete the seemingly simple task of repeatedly counting to four, without ever spilling over into five. It's rare to find something which is so enjoyable, despite my complete ineptitude. It would be great fun to have a kit, but I certain that my family and next-door neighbours are more than grateful that I haven't.
1-2-3-4
1-2-3-4
1-2-3-4-5 (d'oh!)
1-2-2-4

2 comments:

Lins said...

I grew up with a drummer in the house - a very talented one at that. It takes alot of love and understanding from the drummer's family and neighbours!

He's just bought a full size kit for him and his son over in Oz. Sometimes we can hear them from here!

Lins said...

Question: Was Ringo the best drummer in the world?..